Be part of a radical new Centre for Global Eco-Innovation
The Centre for Global Eco-Innovation is the only centre of its kind in Europe and is part financed by the European Regional Development Fund. It brings together the expertise, resources and global contacts of Lancaster University and the University of Liverpool, together with international commercialisation consultancy Inventya Ltd. SME-led collaborative R&D partnership with two world-ranking universities underpin the development of new products, processes and services for the global marketplace, which by virtue of their use, manufacture, raw materials, reuse or disposal, deliver positive environmental impacts.
Collaboration and support
In addition to the recruitment of an initial cohort of 50 businesses by October 2012, the centre will grow its level of support to a total of 285 businesses by 2015, by:
- Brokering additional SME-partners into established university-SME collaborations.
- The development of R&D collaborative projects with universities (typically 3-6 months) – they can start very soon, so the earlier these are registered, the better.
- The provision of business mentoring to companies with ambition to export.
- Matching potential partner companies.
The centre provides a programme of business support starting in Spring 2013, registering from now. This programme will focus on those businesses with ambition to realise significant export markets, underpinned by collaboration and partnerships with two world-class universities with global reach. Inventya will provide a wider programme of support such as:
- Opportunities for short pieces of collaborative product and service development.
- Expertise to plan the commercialisation of outcomes from applied research.
- Market research for export.
- Intelligence on specific export market opportunities.
- Expertise to develop strategies for overseas markets.
- Finance for product and service development and export market development.
- Access to international corporate supply chains.
- Advice on international commercial and intellectual property law and regulation.
- Access to overseas missions and networks to improve export performance.
This aspect of the centre is delivered by Inventya Ltd and in close collaboration with the UKTI TR&DE Programme.
Access to a 50-strong team of talented graduates
We have recruited 50 exceptional people with significant ambition, high quality academic track-records and a passion to turn the highest quality research into real world commercial solutions with a positive environmental benefit. Each graduate will embed themselves in a partnership between one of two world-class universities and a business and undertake intensive R&D to underpin new product or service. The graduates will use collaborative projects as the basis of a PhD programme of study and will be supervised and supported by senior academic staff, all experts in their fields. The graduate will spend up to 50% of their time based with a company over the course of their 3-year project.
What kind of research and development expertise can the centre offer?
The centre provides research and development expertise from the two partner universities. This will cover a wide range of science and technology areas to underpin the development of new eco-innovative products and services:
- Chemistry and chemical engineering
- Computing and communications
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Applied mathematics
- Life Sciences and biotechnology
- Physics and quantum technologies
- Environmental Sciences: Natural, Biological and Earth Sciences
- Ecology and Conservation
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Physics and Quantum Technologies
Do companies need to be in specific sectors?
The centre supports high-growth Northwest SMEs across a range of sectors including:
- Digital and creative
- Energy and environmental technologies
- High value manufacturing
SMEs must have identified growth opportunities for their business through the development of new products, processes and services for the global marketplace with positive environmental benefits by virtue of their use, manufacture, re-use or disposal.
For more information on which companies we can support please view our page on eligibility.